One Month in Korea - Part 10

It was like almost all of the other days, cripplingly cold.  This makes exploring my old neighborhoods of Sinchon and Ewha less fun and shopping based as you have to hop from store to store to stay warm.  On this day Jen finally gave in and bought a Uniqlo ultra light down bubble jacket to wear under her coat like I had a week before and like tons of Koreans do. 
I guess there aren't as many photos as there would be in a new country for me because I've lived in Seoul and visited 7 or 8 times after that.  $1 for egg bread in Ehwa.  By chance we walked down the very hill of the hasookjip (boarding house, and one for Ehwa students which is an all girls school, but my friend lived there and there was a spare room and the ajuma liked me so I was able to stay during that winter recess).  that I lived in during the winter of 2000 into 01. 


As a young student at Yonsei I skated boarded with my buddy Justin Chon everyday after class somewhere in Seoul (never here) so it's funny to see this sign on this closed down building.  It says something like Don't skateboard, you're liable for any personal injury or damage to the property.
Seen in Sinchon, I don't think they are famous

just kinda twidlin' our thumbs until dinner time after so many weeks of shopping, drinking, and eating, and oppressive cold forcing us to be inside.  Dakkalbi is something you should do in Korea and it was Jen's first time and now she's a fan.  It's chicken thighs and rice cakes and kimchi and other stuff and cheese!  you can also make fried rice in all that leftover sauce afterwards on the hotplate so it gets all crispy on the bottom.  Highly recommended, they have these places all over the place.

funny, Korean food gets very aromatic and on your clothes so thats all our coats in a plastic bag they provide.

Yogurt drink all ready for you at the cash register to calm down all that spice you just ate.  Also that's my phone on the counter that I would have to come back and get 3 minutes later after I realized I left it there to be charged.  Charging your phone at bars/restaurants is totally normal and many even have powerbanks with all the different phone charing cables available out in the open for customers.

along the Gyeongui Line Forest Park which is a great new cool looking park going from Hongdae to Yeonnam.  

We went to two LP bars which is a thing in Korea and you are supposed to request stuff.  In America if you request something from a DJ you are liable to picked up by a bouncer and thrown out.  Or at any rate being dismissed by the DJ.

Like many times in Korea people end up talking to us seemingly because we are American which is crazy because its like being American is special and cool.  If it were the other way around I don't think it would be so friendly and definitely the American guy wouldn't think the Korean guy was cool and give him special treatment.

Shingoon and Shinyang is a great LP bar in Yeonnamdong.  신군신양

I asked him for some Korean Jazz LP recommendations
Screen golf is pretty sweet.  Real clubs and camera sensors as you hit into a course projected onto a screen.  Drinking beer and eating food on the side.  We are horrible at it.


0 comments: